Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day

Ok, so in all honesty, I didn't feel that it would be fair to submit a Father's Day story to the Duramed Futures Tour page this weekend after not having my Mother's Day story posted. So, Dad gets a little blog on here just like Mom!! First, Happy Father's Day to everyone that it applies. I had a fun day here in Decatur celebrating with another family, but would have preferred to have been at home celebrating with my family..(well, in all reality, it probably wouldn't have been celebrating...probably more like helping in the yard to get ready for the wedding!!!) Anyway, I have a couple of stories about Dad to share. This is really quite fun since most of you know him and can truly appreciate some of the "crap" that he dishes out!!
I believe it was my sophomore year in high school, before I was to turn 16 and get my driver's license. Driving home from high school practice, with my younger sister in the car, we passed a bright yellow (popular at the time) truck. He informed me that if I could shoot under 70 the next day in Prineville at our tournament then he would by Kristin (my younger sister) that truck. Wow...wait just one minute. This is quite a deal for me, huh? So, you're telling me that if I go out and break 70 then you will by that truck for my sister? Where is the benefit in that for me? He seemed to think it was a good deal because she wouldn't be able to drive for 2 years so she would let me drive it. Yeah, right...knowing my sister, I'm sure she would just gladly hand over the keys!! End of the story is I missed a short birdie putt on the 18th to shoot 69, so I ended up with a 70 and we didn't have to worry about the details of the truck!!! He still tells that story with a huge smile on his face, I think because he realizes how lousy of a deal that was for me?!!!
Another memory I have I am not as clear on the details. I believe it was something very similar though. If I were to break 70 during my summer tournaments he would shave his head. (I think this was actually meant as torture for my mom as she hated his hair that short) I shot 67 at the OGA Members course at Tukwila and happily called him and informed him that he lost the bet. He showed up the next day with a buzzed head. Everyone was giving him a hard time telling him that he hadn't followed through with his end of the bargain and that a buzz was different from a shaved head!! I have the picture and the fun memory of all of those birdies, knowing with each one that he was going to have to follow through with his end of the deal!!!
(Maybe I need another "deal" Dad...perhaps that would help bring in the birdies??!!!) Just kidding!
I feel very lucky to have such a supportive, involved, and caring Dad and know without a doubt that I will always have his love and support no matter what I do on or off the golf course. I know that he shares my passion for being out here and with that my disappointment when I do not perform to my expectations. It is great to have the support system that I do at home! I am hoping that he and my mom both will be able to be experiencing it a little more with me out here once the wedding is over! (hint)
Happy Father's Day Dad...love you always!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Any deals you have with your dad cannot and I repeat cannot have anything to do with his hair!!! I'm so glad you feel supported even though we can't be there with you on tour, as I'm sure it gets lonely day after day without a cheering section on the sidelines, but know that we live and breath every score that comes up during live scoring while your playing. And yes I'll get to come see you after this "silly" wedding business is over. Have fun this week. Remember...round circles...you are loved. Mom