Friday, July 13, 2007

Long time no blog...

I apologize for the delay between blogs. When I left Kankakee, Illinois 2 weeks ago...it was all craziness from there. I drove 2 days (15 hours) to Hartford, Connecticut to leave my car and fly home. Here's a new one for you...I hit a chair in the middle of the road on my drive. Yes, a chair. I never thought I would be saying this, but be careful when you're on the road, because you never know when furniture could be lying around in your lane. It was a very strange deal, and happened so quickly I couldn't even tell you details! However, it was scary and luckily my car doesn't seem to have any damage as a result. I am lucky that the car in front of me didn't hit it and send it flying into my windshield!

I was home for a week, and we worked like dogs the whole time. I never imagined that a wedding could be so much work. There are so many details that you don't even think about having to think about! I hope my sister realizes how much work it all was, because there were a lot of friends and family who put in more than a few good hours to make it all come together. My parents did a fantastic job and everything turned out beautiful and perfect! It was an emotional day, but a happy one, and it was fun to see my sister so happy and looking beautiful!!

I traveled all day Tuesday (July 10) back to Hartford, getting here at 1:00 a.m. Funny thing is, my clubs didn't arrive with me. At 1:00 in the morning, there aren't a whole lot of options to hope they come in on a later flight. I was pretty much out of luck for my 7:00 a.m. practice round the next morning. I got a set of clubs my host housing put together for me, used a putter from my car, and borrowed woods of a friend in my group and groggily played a practice round the next morning. As of 3:00 the next afternoon, I still hadn't heard a word from the airline. And as many of you know, of course the number they give you doesn't actually result in someone on the other line, it is merely an answering machine. Yeah, like anyone ever returns those calls. So, I made the 25 minute drive back to the airport to raise a little hell in person. Long story short, I spent 4 and 1/2 hours at the airport baggage claim that night and luckily received my clubs on a 9:00 pm flight from Las Vegas. I was preparing for the worst and coming up with a plan as to what clubs I could use if I didn't have my own come Friday!!

This course is challenging, but very fun to play, as it requires certain shots and requires some course management instead of bombing away at your driver every hole. I had a great day, much better than a 76 describes. Playing that way and having a few things go my way could result in a much lower score...thus, the plan for tomorrow!!! We are in Syracuse, NY next week and then have another week off. I apologize again for my lack of communication...time just goes by so quickly when you're super busy and having fun!!
Talk to you all soon!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We get the club thing. Spent 3 wks in Ireland. Clubs got there. Didn't make the 24 hour trip back to Portland. Missed getting thru TSA with us at JFK. Luckily, they were on the next flight - midnight. What's another 2 hrs when you've been up an entire day? Glad the wedding happened OK. Not bombing the ball may be a good idea!!!

Unknown said...

Syracuse next week, huh? My old stomping grounds! What course are you playing there?

I wish we could drive up and see you (or you could come down to NYC!) but we're going to San Francisco next week. Regardless, let's talk soon and catch up. Maybe something will work out!

Love ya!

S

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking that we hadn't heard from you in awhile. Wanted to know how the wedding went. Jerry and j.j. wanted to say hi, also. Be very, very careful on your drives. Remember, Tennessee is missing one doe from my last trip there!

Love ya, kiddo...& good luck.