Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Unplayable Conditions

For any golfers out there, we all know that there can be unplayable conditions in the game of golf. Lightning and thunder, torrential downpours, a course that's flooded, snow, and there are probably some others that I am missing. However, I didn't think I would ever be adding wind to that list. On Saturday, the Futures Tour made a decision to suspend play for the day due to severe winds. No really, severe winds!! They made reference to earlier this year when the PGA canceled a round due to high winds. Other than that, can any of us remember ever hearing of a professional golf tournament being canceled due to wind? No, I didn't think so.
Saturday morning I got up and battled the winds for my 8:09 tee time. I don't know the exact numbers, but it was something around 24 m.p.h. with gusts higher than that. I played great, battled the conditions, and shot the low round of the morning. I knew going into the round that I needed to have a decent score in order to make the cut, but I also knew after a 71 in those conditions that I would be fine. In fact, I figured I probably would have moved significantly up the leader board. So, after my round, I'm on the range hitting balls and we hear the horns. (The horns signify the rules official's stopping play) We were all looking at each other with very confused looks on our faces as there wasn't a cloud in the sky and it was about 80 degrees out.
Long story short...they suspended play due to unplayable wind conditions. I have never seen some of these girls more up in arms and fired up as I did when they canceled the round. Those of us who played in the morning felt that it was highly unfair that we had all just played a round of golf in those conditions and the afternoon tee times were going to get off free. It was an experience I will never forget. If you haven't read the daily wrap-up for the 2nd round in El Paso on the Duramed Futures Tour page it's a must read. They make reference to a cart being thrown to a stop when the wind blew the key to the off position, nearly throwing the rules official through the windshield. Wow, are you kidding? Truly, you're not fooling any of us. We aren't falling for that!
A little bird told me that I should focus on the fact that I played so well in those conditions and that I can't control what happens about the rest of the day. Well, I had to share my story though, because even though I couldn't control the situation, I felt that I had the right to be upset about their decision.
So, I made the cut and had a less than stellar round on Sunday again. I know you're all thinking that you should inform me that it helps to shoot a low score on the last day. When you play well it moves you up the leader board rather than down. Well, it might seem like I am missing that piece of information, but I really do know that. I am playing better golf and gaining a world of confidence. It's all a matter of putting it together and making some putts and scoring better.
I am off this week, in Albuquerque. I head to Kansas City this weekend as I have a Women's Open qualifier on Monday followed by the next Futures Tour event there later that week. I will be home in two weeks to throw a shower for my sister.
I had a great time last week with my Dad on the bag (even with all of the complaining he was doing...the bag was too heavy, the strap was too thin, it was hurting his shoulder) and Jackie down to watch. I found it comical that when we got in the car Sunday night to make the drive up to Albuquerque that they were complaining about a 3 and a half hour drive. Ha...that's a piece of cake compared to 13 hour days in the car!!! Until next time...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How did you focus so well with your dad on the bag?
Great job and keep up the good work.
Terry.

Anonymous said...

Remember if it doesn't have wings and use jet fuel your dad will complain,no matter how long the trip!?!? Be proud of your low round and all the great shots you had. These are all learning experiences for you...wonder where you get your fiestyness(is that a word?) from? Remember always, you are loved. Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Kailin!
The wind must have done something to your hearing. Your father has never complained about anthing! He is the most positive upbeat person I know! He never has a negative thing to say! Hehe. I love it that you are doing this blog. I get to re-live life on the Futures Tour vicariously through you. What's this about your little sis? Married? Wow! Make lots of putts. Celebrate all the good stuff! : )