Monday, April 23, 2007

You know you're in Mexico...I mean McAllen when...

As I made the 9 1/2 hour drive today from Lafayette to McAllen, TX I thought to myself that I should post a blog about the good, the bad, and the ugly about spending a whole day a week in your car. First, let me just say that I made it to McAllen, and although I've heard a lot about not expecting too much when we make our stop here, I knew I had to be getting close when I turned off the I-pod and switched to the radio. I am not exaggerating when I say that there were 4 stations that were in English!!! No really, this is not a joke! My host housing took me to a small Mexican restaurant tonight and again I am not exaggerating when I tell you that we were the only Americans in the place. So...that should give you an idea of where I am!

Now, some small, simple things you learn to be thankful for when you are in your car all day:
  • My satellite radio that I got for Christmas (To be honest, I wasn't sure what my Dad was thinking with this purchase. However, it turns out that it's great when you're in your car all day)
  • Phone calls every so often from my Dad. He's just checking on me and they only last 45 seconds, but it's the thought that counts. (He's really just a big softy if you don't already know it!)
  • People that call to chat and keep you busy because they know how boring it can be by yourself.
  • How nice it is when people actually use their cruise control and get in the right lane when they're not passing someone.
  • The small joy you get from a favorite song coming on the radio or I-pod.
  • How good it feels when you have to get out to use the restroom or fill up the tank and your legs actually get to stretch out and have blood pumped back into them.
  • The reassuring feeling you get when you pass one of the Futures Tour trucks along the freeway. This is a reminder that we are not the only ones shifting in our seats for 10 hours and also a good sign that you are actually on the right road going in the correct direction.
  • The quick laugh you get when you pick a random exit and go into a Subway only to find a group of 4 other golfers who chose that very same exit and Subway. What are the odds?
  • And finally, the great feeling of being "home" for the week. I say that with quotes because that is technically what it is. However, how much can a place feel like home when you are in and out in 6 days?!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kailin,
I think that Jerry and I told you ahead about McAllen!
We have been enjoying your blogs so much. I think that you need to become a writer. They are all so descriptive and thoughtful.
We've been watching and feel like proud parents.
Love, Jan, Jerry & j.j.

Luke & Kristin said...

mom said she feels bad for you when no one leaves you a comment. haha, I laughed at her... then again, this is the same woman that called me SO frustrated because she "couldn't get your email to work".. when I asked her what she was talking about she said "I typed in www.K_Downs09@hotmail.com and it said that the page could not be displayed.. i've tried it multiple times, something is wrong with this computer" hehe.. I said "mom, that's her EMAIL, not her blog, her blog is www.kailindowns.blogspot.com" and she said "so her email doesn't work anymore" MUHAHA. she's so not technical.. but to appease her, so that she doesn't think that it's very very sad if you don't get a comment.. I decided to leave you one. :-) I love you

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do think it's sad when you take the time to write down your thoughts and adventures and no one is responsive! I'm glad that you and Kristin can get some comic relief from my technical challenges!!! Actually I amuse myself sometimes! Kailin, have lots of fun in your travels and your golf game. hugs and kisses, mom

Anonymous said...

Kailin-
This is from Kimi! I just talked to your Dad tonight. I don't know what you are talking about when you say he calls for 45 seconds, I've never had a phone conversation with him under 45 minutes! Anyway, I asked him how you are doing, as I always do, and he told me I could read for myself on your blog! This is very cool! I didn't realize you were such a talented little writer! Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that I am green with envy that you are chasing your golf dream and getting to play most everyday! Now that golf is not free anymore as it was growing up and in college - I rarely ever play cuz it's too expensive! You can imagine how not good I am now! I think the Oregon Golf Assn. tournaments from the red tees will be what I practice for!Unlike me, you have the game and the head to make it! After reading about the other, not so glamourous, stuff that goes along with being a pro golfer, I realize there is a good chunk of your "dream chasing" I do not envy! I used to get lots of phone calls from Angie when she played the Future's Tour and I always knew it's cuz she'd been stuck in her car for hours! I'm sure you must be so sick of eating out by now, and I bet you miss your own bed terribly! Hang in there. You will laugh about this someday when you are a rich and famous superstar on the LPGA! Anyway, I can't wait to see you at Kristin's wedding - it seems like I haven't seen you in forever! Talk to ya soon, Kimi.