Monday, April 16, 2007

Moving on...

I write this as I am about to pack my car and move on to the next city, the next tournament, the next adventure. I am also writing this as a closure to this week and a beginning to another. In my frustrating, devastating, hellish, miserable round on Saturday, I found some humor and light on the course and choose to share that and the positive things rather than dwell on the negative. I found it a round of firsts for me, and for the Duramed Futures Tour I believe. It was the first time I had ever considered the possibility that I might run out of golf balls before I was able to finish. It was the first time I had ever considered that I actually might want to lose my last golf ball so that my name would have a DQ or a WD (Disqualified or withdrew) next to my name rather than the score that I was about to post. ( I learned from a girl I was playing with that her brother, also a professional golfer, once ran out of balls in a professional tournament...this made me feel just a little bit better for a moment) It was the first time that I had ever had to question a rules official standing by with about 5 holes to go what I was to do if I did lose my last golf ball. And as I explained to her that this was a first to me, she explained that it was in fact a first for them as a tour staff. I found humor in this and told her that I was glad I could be a first for them and that I didn't realize that I was so special. I didn't realize that a birdie on any hole, whether you are 4 under or 24 over, can put a huge smile on your face and make you want to keep going. I also didn't realize that I would ever be so proud of a 1 under finish in the last 4 holes. It was never such a relief to finish the last hole either. I had more mud on me when I completed that round than a little kid playing outside after a big rain storm. It was a long, ugly, cold, miserable, and forgettable day. However, I will take the positives with me, which were my last 4 holes, and the fact that I was still able to find humor in the situation and smile on the course, even when I was 20 something over par. I have decided that I would like to add another first to the Duramed Futures Tour. I doubt that there has ever been a player finish dead last and proceed to the next tournament to finish 1st. That is my mission this week and I am determined to make it happen. So, as I drive away from Frisco, Texas, I will leave behind in my rear view mirror some great memories, because I had some of the best housing hosts that a girl could ask for, and they even had a Bichon Frise (Peaches' kind). But, I will also leave behind the ugly shots, the ugly scores, and the ugly round!!!
On to Lafayette...where bigger and better things await!! (Maybe they need a new city slogan, that sounds pretty good)

3 comments:

Carol said...

One of the greatest gifts you can give yourself is the ability to laugh at yourself, learn from your experience and move on to your next adventure with a smile in your heart.

That is just one of the things I love about you.

Bloom where you're planted my little hero.

Love Carol

Anonymous said...

No matter what...you always make me proud. Remember, you are always loved. Mom


4-17-07

Anonymous said...

After a rather dreary day I needed a good chuckle. You are living my motto!! Bon Voyage, Kuka